June 3rd Disaster: GhȻ814,000 disbursed to surviving victims

24.Jun.2019

An amount of GhȻ814,000.00 has been disbursed to 84 victims and bereaved families of the June 3rd Twin Disaster, who did not receive any benefit from government when the incidence occurred 4 years ago.

The disbursement followed a $200,000 donation from the government of Benin to support the victims of the June 3 disaster which had been idle since 2017.

The beneficiaries included, 15 families of the deceased who were yet to receive any support from government, 40 severely injured persons, 28 persons with minor injuries and Mr Kasim Suraj, a victim who is set to undergo surgery. 

At a brief ceremony held at Accra City Hall to disburse the funds Mr. Seji Saji, Deputy Director-General of National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) and Chairperson for the Disbursement Committee said the Committee decided to support 15 families of the deceased who were yet to be supported with GHȻ10,000.00 each, 40 severely injured persons with GHȻ10,000.00 each, 28 persons who suffered minor injuries with GHȻ8,000 each as well as support Mr. Kasim Suraj with GhȻ40,000 to undergo surgery. 

Mr Saji disclosed that the remaining balance of over GH¢ 216,000 would be retained to cater for some potential victims or families who have not completed the screening process.

The Metropolitan Chief Executive of the Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA), Mohammed Adjei Sowah, in a remark urged citizens to be conscious of their environment and desist from dumping refuse into drains and water ways as such actions could lead to disasters like the 3rd June. 

"Our actions and inactions are major contributions to the challenges we are confronted with today .People who dump waste into drains turn to forget that their actions may lead to disasters such as the June 3rd disaster. As we meet here today, let’s remind ourselves and say never again will we act irresponsible and recklessly as citizens by dumping waste into the drains," he said.

The Ambassador of the Republic of Benin to Ghana, Francois Martin Dossa , extended her country's condolence to all victims and prayed  that such a disaster never befalls any nation. 

Some victims expressed their gratitude to government, AMA and NADMO for facilitating the disbursement.